Monday, December 19, 2011

The Burning Bush...

Part 1

Many of you know the story of Moses and the burning bush. It is a story that proves that God is around us all the time and that when he wants to be seen he will make himself known, if you are willing to see Him.  Well, the story of Reid coming into our lives was filled with many burning bushes. Some that jumped out in front of us and others that we passed and merely glanced at along the way on our road to becoming Reid’s mommy and daddy. However, each one was significant and yet another example of how God is constantly working in our lives, even when you’re not lookingJ

Reid’s story is a God filled one. He came into our lives because God had a plan much bigger than ours. He came into our lives because God’s timing is perfect, His plan flawless, and His love always evident. He came into our lives because God spoke and we listened. On October 12th we got the call that forever changed our lives. We got the call about our miracle, our answered prayer, on son, Reid Mallard.
The story is long and detailed, but EACH detail is important because it points to the only one who could have possibly facilitated such a story, our amazing and wonderful God.

It all began with a yard sale. On Sept. 24th we held our first adoption fundraiser yard sale and were blessed beyond our wildest dreams. We raised over $6,000 towards our adoption and then were given the humbling news that a family was offering to MATCH the proceeds of our two yard sales (we had another one planned for Oct. 8th). After the conclusion of our two yard sales God provided us with $7,148.79, which was matched by our first pair of angels in this beautiful story! Now, on the day of our first yard sale something amazing happened. Something we wouldn't know the relevance of until God was ready for His story to unfold. We met two young ladies, who would later become our second pair of angels. We’ll call the first one “W” and the second “E”. We knew “W” through Chad's sister, but had never met the friend she brought with her, “E”. I vividly remember them coming, shopping up a storm, and I remember sharing a few of the details of our adoption journey with them. They shopped and they left, we thought nothing of it, until Oct. 11th when I received a text from my sister-in-law telling me that “W” heard of a baby boy through her friend “E” that was born on October 6th, and the mother wanted to make an adoption plan.  The text detailed a few pieces of information that automatically made me think, this won't happen, Bethany, our agency, won't be able to work with this birthmother. That afternoon, when I got off work I called Chad, told him about the text, called my sister-in-law, and then called our adoption case worker from Bethany. After I told her a little bit about the story she confirmed my original assumptions and said this particular situation could be tricky and to not get our hopes up. She then said something I will never forget, "Remember, when God wants something to happen, He makes it happen despite the obstacles." Well, God sure did prove his point! After I got off the phone with our case worker I called back my sister-in-law and got “W’s” number. I called her, got more information, and then told her to have “E” call me. A few minutes later the phone rang and I heard all about our son! I was instantly in love! The first thing I was told was, "His name is "T", he was born 5lbs 9 oz, and he had red hair. “E” then went on to say, "I know you don't know me and I don't know you, but I couldn't get you and Chad off my mind after hearing about this little boy. God was laying it on my heart to let you know about him. I just know this is your son, so what can we do to make this happen?!" I told her all we could do was to give her Bethany's phone number and if there was a way she could get it to the birthmother that would be great! She said she could do that and we both agreed it was in God's hands from this point on. I hung up the phone and was overcome with a sense of peace. I knew God had something big planned and Chad and I were just along for the ride.

That night Chad and I anxiously discussed the possibilities. We had no idea if this could or would happen for us. So many things had to fall into place before we would know if the birthmother even wanted to consider us as an adoptive family. Then Chad said something that later made God's presence even more evident. He said, "I hate that we have to do it this way because Bethany is going to show this birthmother ALL of the family profiles and what if they don't pick us?" Now looking back on the story, I picture what God must have done upon hearing this statement. I picture the mischievous smile that must have formed on His face. I picture Him shaking His head and chuckling. I picture Him saying, “They obviously don’t know who I am and what I’m capable of!”

The next day, Wednesday, we waited on pins and needles for an email or phone call. We didn't even know if the birthmother had actually called Bethany. For all we knew she decided to parent. On my way home that afternoon I was feeling like this probably wasn't going to happen and was getting ready to make dinner when the phone rang at 4:38 p.m. It listed Bethany Christian services as the caller and my heart almost stopped. I answered and our case worker was on the other line and she said, "Is Chad home with you?" I immediately knew this was "the call"! She went on to tell me that we had been chosen and that we were never going to believe the story surrounding how we were chosen. She said our story will be told for years to come! She then went on to tell the most God filled story I have ever heard....
Let’s go back to Tuesday night… after I spoke with “E” she got the number to the birthmother and the birthmother immediately contacted Bethany.  The next day, Wednesday, October 12th, the pregnancy counselor from Bethany came down to meet with the birthmother and her sister. After meeting, they discussed looking over family profiles and the birthmother said, “I want to know who Chad and Corrisa are. Can you show us their profile?" The counselor explained that she wasn't going to be able to do that, but that she could look through the big profile book and choose her top three families. Now let me explain the big family profile book. It is a 3 ring binder filled with basic profile information on each family in SC hoping to adopt. There is a picture of the couple and a picture of the outside of their house. Each couple is listed as a number NOT a name, so for example we might have been number 5, NOT Chad and Corrisa. Under the picture is basic profile information. For example, female is 31, male is 33, female is a teacher, male is in sales, female has a brother and sister, male has a brother and sister. There is NO identifying information on the sheet and it only gives a BASIC overview of the family. From that book a birthmother will usually choose 3 families, and then they will be given the more detailed photo book that each couple creates, that includes first names and a more personal account of that couple's life. The birthmother sat down with the big family profile book and wrote down her top three families. She then gave the book to her sister who wrote down her top three families. Our counselor told us they both did this independently. When they came back together to discuss the families they chose the pregnancy counselor said, “You two have BOTH chosen the same family as your number one family. Do you still want to know who Chad and Corrisa are?” The birthmother and her sister said that they would still like to know who we were.  Now, this is where God crossed His arms and smiled down on us. The pregnancy counselor said, “Well, you both chose Chad and Corrisa as your number 1 family!!!!!!!” God intervened. This child was our son and He was going to pull out all the stops to make sure we ALL understood.  Then the birthmother said something we still smile about today. She said, “I’m going to need something. I’m a Gamecocks fan, and I would really like for the family I place my son with to be Gamecock fans too.” The pregnancy counselor did not know us, so she had to call our case worker. When she did our case worker confirmed our allegiances to good old USC and the birthmother’s wishes were grated! Now flashback to June when we were working on the final details of our approval through Bethany, we were working on our profile book, our birthparent letter, and agonizing over every word, every picture, every detail, knowing that we had to say just the right thing in order to bring a baby into our lives. Well the irony of it all was seen when we heard the story of how we were chosen. Our birthmom NEVER saw our profile book, she never read our birthparent letter, none of what we considered to be important mattered.  She chose us because we were Reid’s parents and she knew that from a picture and basic profile information. That’s a God thing. That’s divine intervention. That’s an example of how God doesn’t need us to worry about His plan because He’s already got it all figured out and His version of the story is much more interesting than our own. His version is flawless, unspoiled, ideal, textbook, and always JUST RIGHT!

“Do not worry and say: What are we going to eat? What are we going to drink? Or: what shall we wear? The pagans busy themselves with such things; but your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. Set your heart first on the kingdom and justice of God and all these things will also be given to you.” (Matthew6:31-33)
God wanted to prove his point to us. Why worry? If we set our hearts on Him and trust in His plan then all things would be given to us! We can testify to the truth surrounding this verse!

When we found out we had been chosen we immediately got to work! The first item on the list was a name for our precious gift. At this point Chad and I had been trying to conceive for over 2 ½ years, so names had come and gone because so many of our friends and family had babies and used names we loved. However, one name stuck with us and was always a favorite. It was a name we always came back to: Reid Mallard. We liked the way it looked, we liked to hear it being said aloud, and we knew it was something special. Well, when we got the call about our little boy, we immediately knew what his name would be, Reid Mallard! Mallard is a family name and Reid is just cute! As many of you know I have a uniquely spelled name. A name that is often spelled wrong, so I decided it would probably be a good idea to check out the various spellings of Reid just to be sure we were spelling it correctly. Imagine my complete and utter joy when I clicked on a website to discover the meaning of Reid: Red; red haired! Yes, it is true! The name that had been placed on our hearts was a name that perfectly matched our red haired son. It was a name that was yet another confirmation that this was in fact the child God had handpicked for us! It was just another burning bush on our journey!

Some would call our story luck, coincidence, stars aligning, or wishes granted, we would say otherwise. We know what really happened. God had a plan, a perfect plan. He performed a miracle and wanted to remind us of His glorious and capable ways. He wanted us to realize that he takes care of ALL of the details, even the ones that go unnoticed. He wanted to remind us that He is in control, and when he is behind the wheel amazing and perfect things happen.  
There are so many more amazing details to this story. Things that would make you laugh, cry, and fall to your knees in thanksgiving. However, as with every adoption story there needs to be some gaps, some personal details, some things kept private for the child to someday tell himself. Reid has quite a story to tell. He will be a witness to many. His testimony will change lives. Reid is truly a miracle, a blessing, a gift from above, and the other day we were reminded, yet again, of how God’s plan works. I had a failed IUI at the beginning of January 2011. Reid was born on October 6th, 2011. You do the math!

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." 2 Peter 3: 8
"Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son.” Genesis 18:14


The day we brought little man home!
Our bundle of joy!
1 month old!
Mr. Personality
Reid's first Thanksgiving. We have SO much to be thankful for!
Always smiling!
Such a big boy!
So sweet!
2 months old
A handsome little fellow!

"The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.” Psalm 126:3








4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! God is so good!!! As I read this, fighting back the tears, my heart is just overfilled with joy. May he continue to bless your beautiful family. Merry Christmas!

    Love,

    Kady & Rob, Abby, Matthew, & Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Reading it just brings back into my mind all of the little (and big) things that God did to orchestrate the adoption of our 4 month old daughter. He is so good and faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and touching. I have felt a special connection with you Corissa over the years and have been praying for you longer than you know. This sweet child is indeed your gift from God and you two deserve it more than anyone I know. Much love to your family. Enjoy your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and perfect story of God's plan. Reid is one blessed little guy. You have a precious little family. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete